Sunday, February 17, 2013

World Read Aloud Day Blog Challenge: Now & Then

It's another World Read Aloud Day post! 
This week's WRAD post is about the reader you are now vs. the reader you were then. Mrs. Ellis has always been a reader, even when it caused her to be car sick on family vacations when she was growing up! :) That love for reading is what probably sent her into teaching English and reading, and it certainly inspired her to become a librarian! So. . . here she is as a child (EEK! Look at those glasses!), and here are her responses to Now & Then.

1. At 10 years old, I thought everyone in the world should read Sarah Bishop. I found this girl's story riveting, and I thought everyone should know about her family's struggles and her own journey.
Now I think everyone in the world should re-read their favorite children's book as an adult. Those are dear memories worth living again and again! My choice? The Story of Ferdinand the Bull. 

2.  When I was 10, I wanted to listen to my teacher Mrs. Gaulke read aloud to me. 
She was the first teacher who consistently read aloud to me and introduced me to some of the books that are my favorites even today--like Island of the Blue Dolphins. If I could listen to anyone read aloud to me today, it would be my own children. One of my proudest accomplishments is that I have passed along my love of reading to them!

3.  As a 10-year-old, I didn't really have a favorite character to impersonate when I read aloud. But now, my favorite character to impersonate is Skippyjon Jones. Hands down--he's the winner, mi amigos!

4.  At 10 years old, my bookshelf was filled with biographies and realistic fiction. How I wanted to be Annie Oakley! Now, the genre that takes up the most room on my bookshelf is fantasy. The Fablehaven series and the Harry Potter series are just two of the many.

5.  When I was 10 years old, I didn't really consider writing my own stories or books. I did, though, as a 3rd grader write a nonfiction story about dinosaurs. I shared the story with my teacher (Mrs. Gaulke again!) and my classmates, but no one else. Now, the book that inspires me to write is every clever ABC children's book--Bad Kitty is one of my favorites! Who knows. . . maybe one day I'll have a children's story about Sneaky Horse in libraries everywhere! :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of Sneaky Horse in a library! You should try it for Teachers Write this summer. :) Glad to see other bloggers joining in on the WRAD blogging challenge!

    ReplyDelete