Monday, January 14, 2019

Mock Caldecott Unit

Second grade students at South Prairie have recently named Not Quite Narwhal by Jessie Sima as the Mock Caldecott winner in the building.

To start their work, second graders learned about the criteria for the true Caldecott Medal and looked at several winning books along with Caldecott Honor books. We started with a favorite of Mrs. Sedrel's, the 2015 Caldecott Medal winner, Beekle by Dan Santat.

Students worked in table groups to evaluate 28 books using the sheet below: 

Based on scores, students narrowed choices to these top four titles:


To evaluate the finalists, students used the same scoring sheet- except they did this part individually. Students independently watched a video of each book being read while they completed the scoring sheet. 


After students finished scoring the final four books, Not Quite Narwhal was crowned the winner for South Prairie's 2018-2019 Mock Caldecott Award! 




5 comments:

  1. Lacey, thank you for sharing this. I love looking at Caldecott award winning books with my students. My I use your worksheet with my students?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course! Contact me at lacey.sedrel@dcgschools.com and I can email/share it with you!

      Delete
  2. Where did the students find the read alouds to watch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I recorded myself reading each book with an iPad and uploaded the videos into google drive. The QR code kiddos scanned was a link to each video!

      Delete
  3. I would love to use your recording sheet! It is perfect for my lesson next week. May I use it?

    ReplyDelete