Tuesday, February 3, 2015

I Want my Hat Back Activity

One of the year's Goldfinch nominees is I Want my Hat Back by Jon Klassen.




We paired this nominee with another Goldfinch book--Exclamation Mark by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Our discussions focused on how authors and illustrators let us know we might read their books out loud by the words the choose, the pictures they draw, and the punctuation marks they include.



After reading the book and talking about how the characters might sound when they responded to Bear's question ("Have you seen my hat?"), students chose their own animals and made their own hats. All of our hat-wearing animals have found a place for themselves in our landscapes--check them out!


Below are some of the students proudly showing off their animals and hats.


No comments:

Post a Comment